India is the largest and one of the most vibrant democracies in the world, accomplished running a democratic system for more than six decades. The Electoral Commission over the years strengthened its credibility at the fair, fearless and impartial exercise of his constitutional authority in cleaning the Indian electoral system, and stands as the guardian of democracy. Role Election Commission of India is to maintain the principles the nation was built.
Do's and Don’ts for candidates
1. A candidate shall be clearly aware of the election laws, rules, procedures and instructions.
2. The Candidate may have the electoral roll copy of the Local Body/Ward for which he/she contests.
3. Confirm the correct publication of his name and details in the elector roll well before deciding to contest.
4. Before filing of nomination, one should be aware of the Qualifications and disqualifications of candidates and ensure that he/she is fully qualified and not attracted by any provisions of disqualification. If not qualified, the candidate should make himself/herself fully qualified before the date of scrutiny.
5. The nomination form should be filled up properly with undertakings/affidavits and duly signed. The nomination paper should be filed by the candidate or his/her proposer on or before the due date.
7. One can file upto four nominations if the candidate desires so, through different proposers. Nominations should be filed only with the Returning Officer/ Assistant Returning Officer at the place and date/time mentioned in the election notice.
8. Nomination should be filed for only one office i.e., either ward member or President as the case may be..
9. Along with the nomination the deposit amount in cash shall be remitted or the receipt for having paid the deposit should be enclosed.
10. The receipt for having filed the nomination and the notice for scrutiny of nomination may be obtained from the Returning Officer.
11. The Candidate should participate in the scrutiny process at the prescribed time and place. After scrutiny is over, the acceptance of nomination and inclusion of name in the list may be confirmed by the candidates.
12. The form A and B for allotment of symbol shall be filed in time, failing which the request of candidate for allotment of specific symbol may not be considered.
13. Notice of poll and counting should be obtained by the candidate.
14. Application for appointment of election Agent should be made in the prescribed form.
15. A copy of the polling station list to be obtained.
16. A candidate may appoint polling agent for each polling station by applying in the prescribed format.
17. For the use of the polling agent a copy of the electoral roll pertaining to the particular polling station may be given.
18. The identification slip, if any, issued by candidate to the voters, should contain only the name and the Sl.No/Part no. of the electoral roll and should not contain the symbol or candidate's name or any other request.
19. If the candidate desires so, he/she can appoint counting agents at the rate of one per table.
20. A candidate can watch the counting process directly.
21. Candidates can canvass voters without extending any gift, undertaking, appeal or threat.
22. Candidate shall be helpful and cooperate for the conduct of free and fair election.
23. A candidate should maintain election expenditure account in the prescribed format and lodge the same within 30 days from the date of declaration of result of election as required under the law.
A Candidate or his/her Agent shall not:
1. indulge in any illegal practice to avoid the contesting of any candidate, pressurising any voter to cast or not to cast his/her vote or compel the co-contestant for withdrawal.
2. involve directly or indirectly in any activity to disturb the peaceful process of election.
3. appeal by using either directly or indirectly the religious symbols/ communal feelings or caste feelings for the purpose of securing votes or for hindering the process of casting votes.
4. indulge in any activity which may create or aggravate existing differences or create or aggravate mutual hatred or cause tension among different caste and communities, religious or linguistic groups.
5. propagate any other candidate's personal conduct or character with a view to adversely affect the prospects of his or her election.
6. use/arrange any conveyance or means of transport for the voters to or from the polling station.
7. exceed the ceiling amount prescribed by law for each election (candidates election expenditures)
8. utilise the services of Government officials in campaigning activities in support of any candidate and to attract the voters.
9. indulge in any unlawful behavior inside or outside the polling station and to create confusion or violence directly or indirectly.
10. hold public meeting or procession on the date or poll and during the two days preceding the poll.
11. cause disturbance to the campaign/meetings of the other candidates. set up of camps or campaigning within a distance of 100 meters from the polling station.
12. indulge in correcting, amending or tearing of the instructions/notices issued by the Returning Officer in connection with election.
13. involve in any attempt to take or fraudulently take a ballot paper out of the polling station.
14. insert other than the polled ballot paper inside the ballot box.
15. advertise/propagate within a distance of 100 meters from the polling station.
16. attempt to destroy ballot paper or to any correction in the ballot paper or to cause any hindrance while inserting the polled ballot paper inside the ballot box.
17. cause or attempt to cause any damage to the ballot box or the seal affixed on the ballot box.
18. encourage impersonation either directly or indirectly.
19. indulge in any activity to threaten the voter or to compel the voter or to prevent the voter from casting his/her franchise.
20 use loud speakers in the polling areas and make uneasy situation around the polling area.
21. serve or distribute intoxicating liquor or prohibited contrabands on polling day and during the twenty-four hours preceding it.
Tamilnadu Assembly Election Preparation-DINAMALAR